Saturday, September 12, 2026

Wallkill Valley Trail, NY - Gardiner to New Paltz with River to Ridge Trail

ABOUT THE PARK: 
Wallkill Valley Rail Trail - Wallkill Valley Land Trust
River-to-Ridge Trail - Open Space Institute

DIRECTIONS: 
GPS Coordinates 41.67935, -74.15225
Parking in Gardiner, NY

TRAIL MAPS:
Wallkill Valley Rail Trail Map - Wallkill Valley Land Trust
River-to-Ridge Trail Map - Open Space Institute

BIKE DISTANCES: 
Wallkill Valley Trail, NY - Gardiner to New Paltz with River to Ridge Trail - 24.1 miles
O&W Rail Trail, NY - Accord to Kerhonkson - 6.9 miles
O&W Rail Trail, NY - Ellenville to Wawarsing - 7.1 miles

THE BIKE: 
Capturing some shorter trail sections I had not biked yet while incorporating my last visit of the season to Sheeley's Organic Farm Stand which is just a couple of miles from the O&W Rail Trail in Accord, NY.  I had hiked the River-to-Ridge Trail previously in the spring but had not ridden it on the bike.  It's a tough ride with some significant hills.
Heading left first to capture the 2.5 miles to the beginning of the trail.
Sometimes the trail is wide, other times very narrow.
At the beginning of the trail at mile 0.
Heading back.
Passing by the parking lot ...
... and through Gardiner.
Now the trail stays wide with crushed stone surface.
Coming into New Paltz.
Crossing Main Street then left ...
... on the bridge ...
... over the Wallkill River.
What a shame that the sunflower were already shot.  I bet it was pretty a week ago.
Passing by the River-to-Ridge parking lot.
After the road crossing up ahead the trail becomes hilly.
Red-tailed Hawk.  Little did I know he was honed in on breakfast :(  He suddenly swooped down with his wings spread and disappeared into the grass.  
A Great Blue Heron standing on one leg in the middle of a field.
I had come up on the left and would now be heading to the right but first a break on those boulders on the left.  There is usually a bit of shade.
The view from sitting on the boulder in the shade.
Can't be in New Paltz and not stop at Karma Road for a bite to eat.
I had the TBTS.
Heading back to Gardiner.
I almost ran over this guy sitting in the middle of the trail so I stopped and gently encouraged him to hop along off the trail into the grass.
Back in Gardiner ...
... to the parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment