John Bryan State Park - Ohio Department of Natural Resources
Clifton Gorge State Nature Preserve - Ohio Department of Natural Resources
DIRECTIONS:
GPS Coordinates 39.80100, -83.88557
| Glen Helen Nature Preserve parking off the Little Miami Scenic Trail. There is a bike rack where I was standing taking the picture. |
TRAIL MAPS:
All of these trail connect seamlessly.
John Bryan State Park Map - Ohio Department of Natural Resources
Clifton Gorge State Nature Preserve Map - Ohio Department of Natural Resources
HIKE DISTANCE: 10.1 miles
As part of a 32.6-mile bike ride on the Little Miami Scenic Trail
THE HIKE:
I had hiked John Bryan State Park twice previously in 2009 and 2021 and had only intended to hike the trails at Glen Helen Nature Preserve. However, at the far side of John Bryan State Park lies the Clifton Gorge State Nature Preserve where I had never been able to hike because I always had a dog with me and dogs are not allowed. I wanted to see if I could hike all of it - there were some trails in John Bryan State Park that I had not hiked yet - but I would have to reassess as I went along to see if there was enough time since I still had a 5 1/2 hour drive.
| To the right of the Trailside Museum and Nature Shop ... |
| ... long series of stone steps ... |
| ... to a boardwalk ... |
| ... over the Beaver Pond. |
| Trails continue along Birch Creek with a series of waterfalls. |
| Now on trails through the woods heading in the direction of John Bryan State Park. |
| At this gate it's a jog to the right ... |
| ... then to the left at another gate. |
| Taking the mowed path through a field to ... |
| ... what is called a "CCC Furnace" on the map. The trail continues directly across the other side but it's a bit overgrown for a couple of feet so it's not that visible at first but it is there. |
| And that leads to John Bryan State Park. |
| Little Miami River |
| The bridge up ahead allows for a loop hike of the North Rim and South Gorge Trails which I had already hiked. |
| But I had not hiked the Pittsburgh-Cincinnati Trail which is a historic stagecoach trail. I figured I could make good time on that two-mile relatively smooth and flat stretch so continuing on to Clifton Gorge was a go! |
| At the end, the bridge connecting the North Rim and South Gorge Trails and the entrance to Clifton Gorge. |
| What I had missed out on when I was not able to hike here. The pictures don't do it justice, it is incredibly scenic. |
| At the top of a steep set of stairs ... |
| ... a left turn at the Exploration Center ... |
| ... to the North Rim Trail in Clifton Gorge Preserve. |
| There are several observation decks but with foliage there is nothing to see. |
| Leaving Clifton Gorge (this is looking back at the sign) ... |
| and taking the rocky switchback down to ... |
| ... where I had entered Clifton Gorge. |
| Now retracing on the Pittsburgh-Cincinnati Trail. |
| Staying with the trail along the Little Miami River even though it doesn't look like there is a trail but it's there. |
| It has lots of roots at times. |
| Leaving John Bryan State Park (looking back at the sign) ... |
| ... and back into Glen Helen staying with the trail along the river. |
| Having come up those steps it's a hard right on the trail on the left ... |
| ... back to where I had entered John Bryan State Park at the beginning. |
| Going back around the CCC Furnace. |
| After that jog on the road ... |
| ... staying left around the field. |
| The field trail enters back into the woods. |
| Oh no! My worst nightmare. I never put my keys in a pocket. They are hooked inside my backpack always. I took these keys with me and gave them to the attendant at the parking lot. |
| Following along Yellow Springs Creek. |
| A rock hop over Birch Creek ... |
| ... over Beaver Pond ... |
| ... and up those many, many, many steps. |
| Up a final short flight of steps to the parking lot. |
No comments:
Post a Comment