Sunday, September 6, 2026

Empire State Trail, NY - North and South County Trails; Van Cortlandt Park to New Castle

ABOUT THE PARK: 

DIRECTIONS: 
GPS Coordinates 40.88774, -73.89484
Van Cortlandt Park Parking Lot - There were only three other cars at 7:00 AM.  The lot was packed at 2:00 PM.

TRAIL MAP: 


BIKE DISTANCE: 49.3 miles

THE BIKE: 
With this being a more congested area, there was loud traffic noise throughout but a surprising amount of greenery.  Most road crossings were not that bad.
Starting out from the parking lot in Van Cortlandt Park, veering left under the blue bridge...
... then to the right on the Putnam Greenway which is also the Empire State Trail.
There were several black squirrels around but it was hard to get their picture in poor early morning lighting.
The Putnam Greenway ends and the South County Trail begins.
Just before the 1 mile marker ...
... a side trail down to the paved loop around Tibbetts Brook Park.
Coming back out on the South County Trail and continuing north.
The trails follows along Saw Mill River crossing over several times.
There is a bridge to the left ...
... with nice views of Saw Mill River.
Coming into Elmsford things get a bit confusing.  Or it was just that people were standing in front of a sign that I could not see - can't say for sure.  I say that because coming back there were clear instructions where to go but I did not see that in this direction, only an arrow saying to go right to cross at the crosswalk which is what I did.
Once on the other side I saw no more signs and had to consult the app.  I turned left and continued along the other side of the road passing by where I had come off the trail on the other side.  There was no continuation of the trail directly across the street and it looked like I was heading to the on ramp of the Saw Mill River Parkway.
This could not be correct.
But looking to the right just before the on ramp, there is the trail.
Meeting up with where I left off the prior week.
Heading back.
Coming into Elmsford, directions were much clearer going this way.
There is a map showing where to go. 
And more signs.
I passed by the parking lot to get to the end of this section a short distance ahead.
This would be it.  The next part is a 3-mile NYC on road section that I will not be doing.  Riding a bike on roads in NYC traffic is not my idea of a good time.  
Heading back to the parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment