ABOUT THE PARK:
DIRECTIONS:
GPS Coordinates 39.96704, -76.45658
 |
| Huge parking lot for about 60 cars at the western end of the trail at Turkey Hill Nature Preserve. |
TRAIL MAP:
The above 2022 version of the map is not updated - the completed part of the trail goes at least to mile 22 now (where I turned around) but I believe it is completed to mile 23. Beyond that the trail is supposedly very rough.
TRAIL MILEAGE:
Enola Trail Bike - Turkey Hill to Quarryville Mile 22 back to Shenks Preserve: 38.1 miles
Shenks Wildflower Preserve Hike - 2 miles
Enola Trail Bike - Shenks Ferry Wildflower Preserve to Turkey Hill: 7.4 mile
Turkey Hill Trail with the Enola Trail Loop Hike - 9.15 miles
THE BIKE AND HIKE:
 |
| I had parked at the parking lot entrance since that is where the Turkey Hill Trail is that I would be hiking later on. The rail trail starts through the parking lot at the far end. |
 |
| The web site says the trail surface varies by which municipality it lies in but I found the crushed stone to be consistent throughout with a couple of miles of paved trail at the other end. |
 |
| There is a live railroad track down below to the right so there is a fence that obstructs the beautiful river views. |
 |
| Several named waterfalls along the way on the left. |
 |
| There are a couple of platforms where you can get higher up ... |
 |
| ... for a view of the Susquehanna River without the fence. |
 |
| The Safe Harbor Dam, a concrete gravity dam, with an associated hydroelectric power station. |
 |
| Safe Harbor Trestle |
 |
| This random Greenhill Road sign is actually where a trail comes in on the left from the Shenks Ferry Wildflower Preserve that I would be on later. |
 |
| The first road crossing is after 10 miles at a 4-way stop. |
 |
| There a just a couple more road crossings over low traffic roads. |
 |
| Quarryville seems to be the only accessible town from the trail where you can get food and drink. |
 |
| A couple of paved sections. |
 |
| It was my understanding that shortly after the 22 mile marker the trail is unfinished and very rough. |
 |
| It still looked OK up ahead from this point but with the hikes I had planned, 22 miles was enough for a turn around point. |
 |
| Heading back. |
 |
| Oh, if only ... |
 |
| ... more people could read. |
 |
| I stopped at this lemonade stand and had my water bottle refilled with fresh squeezed strawberry lemonade and ice. So good! But as I put my camera on the table to take my backpack off to get my wallet, I just knew I was going to ride off without my camera. Indeed I did! I realized it after only a mile so I quickly rode back to retrieve it. |
 |
| Just after the 7.5 mile marker at the power cut I locked my bike to the bench up ahead ... |
 |
| ... then went into the power cut to access the wildflower preserve for a 2-mile hike. |
 |
| The trail goes through the power cut then enters the woods. |
 |
| It was a bit rough in spots with several blowdowns but I was able to get over/around them. |
 |
| At the bench, left ... |
 |
| ... on a nice clear trail ... |
 |
| ... that follows a creek on the right. |
 |
| This trail ends at the top of a tunnel. A path on the right ... |
 |
| ... leads down to the tunnel and the creek. |
 |
| Heading back. |
 |
| At the bench where I had come in from the power cut, continuing straight. |
 |
| Right at the intersection. |
 |
| These flowers would be in bloom along that path in the spring but no flower now. It's a nice, cool and shady path regardless. |
 |
| Looking back at the wildflower trail. |
 |
| Continuing on the gravel path towards the parking lot. |
 |
| Through the parking lot and up the gravel road on the right ... |
 |
| ... through the tunnel ... |
 |
| ... then immediately left ... |
 |
| ... on the path to the Enola Low Grade Trail. |
 |
| Coming out on the Enola Trail ... |
 |
| ... at that Greenhill Road sign. |
 |
| A left on the rail trail ... |
 |
| ... back to the power cut where I had left my bike. |
 |
| Continuing on with 7 miles left. |
 |
| There were so many birds in the river but none of the pictures turned out very well since they were so far away. |
 |
| Cormorants |
 |
| I think this might be a juvenile osprey. |
 |
| Back at the parking lot and all the way through to my car at the beginning of the lot. |
 |
| While I was at the car putting on hiking shoes this cute little guy landed on the car door. I had never seen one before. When I got home and ran the picture through the Seek app, it came up as a robber fly or assassin fly - because they eat bees, wasps and other flies! But I still think he is cute. |
No comments:
Post a Comment