Sunday, March 21, 2021

Sterling Forest State Park, NY - Eagle Lake Loop


ABOUT THE PARK:
Sterling Forest State Park, NY - New York State Parks
 
DIRECTIONS:
GPS Coordinates 41.15207, -74.23736
P19 parking at Eagle Lake.  There were cars parked everywhere but I have no idea why because we ran into nobody else on the trail.

TRAIL MAP:
Sterling Forest Trails Map 100 - NY/NJ Trail Conference

HIKE DISTANCE: .5 mile
This was hiked after the Hogback Mountain Trail - 4.6 miles (about a 10 minute drive away) 

THE HIKE: 
I had driven past this trail many times over the years and always meant to stop and check it out.  It's only half a mile around but it was worth stopping for.

The yellow-blazed Eagle Loop Trail goes right through the parking lot.  We went clockwise ...
... starting with a short stretch along Eagle Valley Road.
Eagle Lake
The trail leaves Eagle Valley Road.
I had absolutely no idea when I took this picture that there was a great blue heron in the tree on the left.  I first saw it when I uploaded the picture to my PC.
Sometimes the trail is paved, sometimes it is dirt.
Two swans in the lake ...
... nesting!
Some ring-necked ducks hanging out with the swans.
Very busy putting that nest in order.
Finishing the loop back at the parking lot.

5 comments:

  1. Appropriate for dog swimming? Krummholz is learning....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brodie doesn't even want to get his paws wet on a rock hop. I see no swimming in his future. The lake was very small and with the nesting swans and ducks everywhere, probably not a good dog swimming spot.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see you're keeping busy!

    What is your new mapping setup? I've been using Wikiloc because of you but I don't like how aggressively it smooths out the track if I look at it on a regular computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely keeping busy! I think it was a Firefox update that caused some things not to show up in Wikiloc and I couldn't get to the embed feature any more. Figured out later it works in Chrome but I had already started using the embed feature in Gaia, which is the app I use for recording my tracks. Ironically, that doesn't work in Firefox either but it does in Chrome. Using Gaia just saves me a step having to save the track and upload it to Wikiloc so I just stayed with using Gaia. Click on my track above and it will take you there. A nice feature in Gaia is all of your tracks will show up on one map.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, I'm going to try it out. Luckily, I don't have to embed anything at the moment.

      Delete