Saturday, February 27, 2021

Tatum Park, NJ - Meadow Run

 

ABOUT THE PARK: 
Tatum Park - Monmouth County Parks 

DIRECTIONS: 
GPS Coordinates 40.38934, -74.13681
Holland Activity Center Parking

TRAIL MAP: 
Tatum Park Brochure and Trail Map - Monmouth County Parks

HIKE DISTANCE:  2 miles
 
THE HIKE: 
The trusty snow depth map showed no snow south of me.  My yard was 90% free of snow.  Could I have been more sure that 30 minutes south there would be little snow?  There was almost no slow until about a mile from Tatum Park when I started wondering why there was so much snow on the ground - EVERYWHERE!  The park was packed with snow, ice and slush.  Probably not my best idea to forge ahead in hopes I would find clear trails so it was very slow going as I had to watch every single step and foot placement because a fall at this point in my recovery could be devastating.  Fortunately I never slipped or fell but it was quite a leg muscle workout.

It had been raining all morning so there was fog floating over the snow.
The Meadow Run Trail was straight ahead but I turned left towards the maintenance road thinking that might have less snow and ice.
At times the snow was a good 6 inches deep and that is where I often had to step to avoid iced over footprints.
The maintenance road.
Ahhhh, if only more of the trail had been this clear.  It was nice to take a few normal steps in a row.
It was back and forth between snow/ice and clear sections.
Eastern Bluebirds hanging out with ...
.... robins.  There were even a couple of swarms of bugs.  Spring is coming.
We ended up circling a field that was unmarked and not on the map.
Meeting back up with the Meadow Run Trail.
A short stretch on a trail.  It felt good to be on a trail again, even if just for a few steps.
Retracing on the maintenance road.
Had there been no snow, I would have taken this trail leaving the maintenance road but just the steps going down were packed with ice.  Next time when everything has melted.
Back at the parking lot.

4 comments:

  1. Oh no! I actually came to your site to see if you had posted some snow-free areas to hike now lol. I guess not! Last weekend, I went for a neighborhood walk, and added a 1 mile very local trail. That was a mistake. There was around 6" of snow, and it was slippery and sometimes you'd sink down, sometimes not. I never fell, but I had to go very slowly, and my knee was sore after it. I'm trying to build up my endurance (I've barely been hiking in the last year), so this weekend, we hiked 6 miles both days - but on pavement. Short neighborhood walks are okay, but 6 miles on pavement is not the best. I am so EAGER to get out on the trails. Surely by next weekend there will be somewhere snow free! My goal is to be able to HIKE (not just walk) 8 miles by the end of April. And then maybe in May take a hiking vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That is exactly how it was on this hike. I am itching to get out on trails, too. Pavement walking is so hard on the legs and knees. I know it's necessary because of the tripping hazard but enough is enough! My surgeon said I should be back to 8 miles by April but not at this rate.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you are on the mend! Keep up the good work keeping with Dr's orders and thank you for showing us the beauty you find during your gentle hikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This does give me the opportunity to check out places with fewer trails that I otherwise might never get to.

      Delete