Friday, April 16, 2021

DePauw Nature Park, IN

ABOUT THE PARK: 
De Pauw Nature Park - De Pauw Univeristy

DIRECTIONS: 
GPS Coordinates 39.63543, -86.88549

TRAIL MAP: 
Nature Park Trail Guide - De Pauw University
 

HIKE DISTANCE:  4.2 miles

THE HIKE: 
Drive 'n hike New Jersey to Missouri to help my mother who recently had hip replacement surgery.  This is hike 2 of 2 on the day 2.  Where I usually would drive 4 hours, hike 8-10 miles, then drive another 4 hours, I broke this down into shorter drives with two shorter hikes because of where I am  with working my way back to full speed after my hip replacement surgery.
If you are in the area, this hike is not to be missed.  This was a limestone quarry until 1977 and is reverting back to nature.  It is a very unique place.
We started on the Rail Trail.
Trail names are painted on boulders at intersections.
Right on the Creekside Trail.
The Creekside Trail follows Big Walnut Creek.
Lots of spring wildflowers along the trail.
Big Walnut Creek
The Creekside Trail loops around and heads away from the creek.
After a break at that picnic bench, right on the Rail Trail.
The Creekside Trail where we just came from visible to the left below.
Right on the Woodland Trail
Left towards the Rim Trail.
Quarry Pond in the quarry.
The Rim Trail follows the rim of the quarry with views along the way.
To put the massive size of the quarry in perspective, the red arrow points to a college student jogging on the other side.
Tiny people below in the quarry.  We'd be heading down there later.
Down into the quarry on the Quarry Trail.
Vultures everywhere.
Coming up out of the quarry.
Back at the parking lot.
A stop in Terre Haute, IN to stock up on the best vegetarian ham ever that is no longer available in New Jersey.
Then on to St. Louis where ...
... my mother has had a mourning dove nesting in the ornamental eagle over her front door for the past  3 weeks.
I arrived just in time for the babies!  This was taken with the zoom lens on my camera from way out at the street.  We come and go through the garage as much as possible to avoid disturbing them.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They were gorgeous and you can't say that too often about a quarry!

      Delete
  2. So you and your mom are twins with your hips? Oh dear! I'm glad you're able to go there and help her out. I hope she can keep being active.
    This hike you took looks great! Do you remember the movie Breaking Away? I think there was a quarry scene from Indiana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opposite twins, actually. My right, her left, and that is where the similarity ends. Having a VERY had time getting her to follow the precautions - no bending over, no twisting, sitting correctly... I followed that to the letter, her, not so much. Super frustrating! She won't be able to be active if she doesn't get with the program. But then what do I know?

      I have never seen that movie. I'll have to watch it sometime and see if anything looks familiar.

      Delete