Sunday, January 24, 2021

Cheesequake State Park, NJ - Perrine Road Loop

ABOUT THE PARK:
Cheesequake State Park - New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
This park charges an entrance fee between Memorial Day and Labor Day

DIRECTIONS:
GPS Coordinates 40.441165, -74.270801
Hooks Creek Lake Parking Lot

 
TRAIL MAP:
Cheesequake State Park Trail Map - NJ Department of Environmental Protection
Click here for track.

 
HIKE DISTANCE:  2.6 miles

THE HIKE:
It's been 7 1/2 weeks since total hip replacement surgery.  I have been doing a lot of doctor ordered walking but sidewalks get old fast.  Time for a little hike.  I am not using a cane at all any more and there is just a little bit of a limp at times but it gets better every day.  I am still not allowed on trails so I need to stay on smooth surfaces.  The trails in this park are too insanely crowded anyway.  As an alternative, we did a family hike on a stroller-friendly loop of paved and packed sand roads and paths where there weren't nearly as many people and lots of space to stay apart when we did encounter others. 

The grandchildren came along all bundled up on this cold, windy day.
We were also accompanied by Cheyenne,  the little brown dog I am dog sitting, granddog Sebastian and of course, Brodie, who hasn't hiked in 2 months. He stayed with the grandkids for 6 weeks and has only been back home for a little over a week.  He gets to go on my walks with me now but I don't think he counts that as hiking.
We continued through the parking lot towards the crabbing bridge.
So much better than walking in residential areas.
Up ahead is the trailhead parking where we did not park knowing it would be packed.
We came out at the trailhead lot, crossed over the park road and continued left on ...
... a path parallel to the park road which leads all the way back to Hooks Creek Lake parking.

15 comments:

  1. Welcome back. This looks like a perfect way to get moving again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill. Walking on sidewalks is so boring but I never get bored in the woods.

      Delete
  2. So glad you're back! This park is very close to where my husband grew up, so he took me there a couple years ago for a hike. Beautiful pictures, what a great area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela. It's the closest state park from my house but I hadn't been there in 3 years.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back!! It doesn't seem like you were on furlough that long - but it probably felt that way to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the moment it feels like it takes forever but in retrospect it went by really fast!

      Delete
  5. I had bunion surgery in November and just starting putting weight on it a couple weeks ago. I'm not able to hike even this simple one yet (my toes don't bend!) but I'm really excited to do these easier hikes soon! Your surgery is great timing for me! I hope to build up my hikes like you do, I'm just a little behind you at the moment. Thank you for giving me something to look forward to and congrats on getting back to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Crystal. So sorry about your surgery! It stinks not being able to move like you want to. Glad you are getting better and weather permitting, I'll load you up with future easy hikes. There are lots of small places out there I would otherwise never go to.

      Delete
  6. Welcome back! Here's to many hikes in 2021...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Daniela -- welcome back!! Feels like old times are back, even though you are taking things slowly. But that's O.K. -- it was worth the wait!! Hey, since you are still doing the "easier" trails, I'm guessing you may be looking to come back to South Jersey for a bit! If so, may I suggest a return trip to Stockton University (to the likes of Lake Fred, Lake Pam, and of course...the "Trail To Nowhere"!) And may I suggest another place that (according to your list) you have never been to: The Egg Harbor Township Nature Reserve. This is the site of an old quarry that has long since been filled in with water to form a nice lake. There is a 1½-mile trail called the "Upper Trail" that has a bird's-eye view of the lake from above...the trail is mostly flat, with some elevation, but nothing too steep like some of the trails in North Jersey. Also, there is a 3-mile "Woods Trail" (which is merged with the Upper Trail in some parts) that offer a nice flat stroll through the woods. Just a thought if you ever decide to return to South Jersey. :-)

    Perhaps you could come sometime in early February, as there is a snow storm/Nor'easter forecast for this weekend (Sunday afternoon/evening through early Tuesday). I'll be looking out for further posts...I know Brodie won't let you rest, now that you have returned! :-)

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions, Jim, but it might be longer than February before I can manage the hiking mileage warranted for a 2-hour each way drive! (Although you know I want to!) Maybe the snow will be gone by then.

      Daniela

      Delete