Monday, July 19, 2010

Slide Mountain and Giant Ledge, Catskill Forest Preserve, NY


ABOUT THE PARK: Slide Mountain Wilderness - New York State DEC

TRAIL MAP: NY/NJ Trail Conference Southern Catskills Trails Map 143

DIRECTIONS: NY State Thruway I-87 to exit 19 (Kingston). West on Route 28 for about 30 miles, left on County Road 47. At the hairpin turn make note of the parking area for Giant Ledge on the right if you want to hike that afterwards. About 2 miles beyond the hairpin turn, the Slide Mountain Parking area is on the left. Porta potties are in both lots. The drive was about 2 1/2 hours from Central New Jersey.

HIKE DISTANCES:
Slide Mountain (highest peak in the Catskills at 4,180 feet): 6.8 miles
Giant Ledge: 3.2 miles

HIKE DIRECTIONS: For the Slide Mountain hike, followed the NY/NJ Trail Conference directions which I highly recommend. It is longer than the direct route but much more interesting and pretty. The direct route, which the rest of the world takes (so you will run into more people), is pretty boring. It's OK for the return trip but going out, I would go as follows:

Start on the yellow trail from the parking lot:




At .7 miles at the intersection which says to take the red trail to Slide Mountain, keep straight on the yellow trail. (You will be coming back on the red trail - that is the more heavily traveled, more boring trail.)


At the next intersection at 1.5 miles, turn left on the blue trail: (This is the reverse side of the sign, not what you see in the direction you would be heading.)


At the beginning of the trail you will see a monument to the left which commemorates Bill Curtis and Allen Ormsbee, hikers who died on Mount Washington, NH in an ice storm in 1900. The blue trail is named after them.


There will be some rock scrambles but nothing overly difficult.


And you will go through fragrant and cool spruce-fir forests.


Just before the 3,500 foot elevation sign, there will be a scenic overlook to the left.




A little farther up the trail on the right are more views but they seem to be more obstructed by foliage in the summer:


Just after 3 miles there is a fork in the trail. Keep left; the right trail goes to a camping spot. Shortly thereafter at the intersection, turn right on the red trail. This intersection was not clearly marked like the others and I did not notice any red markers all the way to the summit although I did see some on the return trip going the other way.

At about 4 miles you will come to a scenic overlook on the left. I found this to be the best place for views along the entire route. Views at the summit at not that good.



A short distance ahead is an old fire tower footing which is supposed to be the summit although it looks like there are some higher areas around it.


A little farther ahead is a huge rock with views at the top. Follow the trail around to the right of the large rock to find the plaque in memory of John Burroughs.


Here is a picture of John Burroughs at that rock in 1900 compared to my picture in 2010:



I continued on out the red trail for a bit and caught a glimpse of Ashokan Reservoir through the trees:


After that point I turned around and headed back as the trail starts to decline very steeply and I was afraid my dog would not be able to get back up. So going back it's the red trail all the way to the yellow trail, right on the yellow trail back to the parking lot. We then hopped in the car and drove the two miles over to the Giant Ledge parking area. The trail starts on the other side of the road to the right of the porta potty.


You simply follow the signs up, yellow trail to left on blue trail. It's a long, steep, rocky climb up but very worth it for the views.


Once you get to the views at the top, the trail flattens out and you can go on about another 1/4 of a mile to various view points to the right before turning around and heading back.


12 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the photos. They make me want to hike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super photos and good directions Im going for it tommorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking me down memory lane. I have hiked Wittenberg and Cornell but had to turn back because of time restriants. Giant ledge is one of my favorite places in the Catskills. I even asked my wife to throw my ashes off of Giant Ledge or Montauk Point. I think at this point in our lives she will opt for Montauk. It's a shorter hike.But, your discription and pics make want to make that hike to Slide. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done this hike twice, great views and not that hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice photos & write up. I had a chance to enjoy this hike during winter and it was a blast. If your interested in seeing a video of my winter hiking experience on Slide Mountain be sure to check out my website www.hikingcampingtrails.com for it as well as photos and trail info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet! Thanks for the detailed description. Heading up with some a friend tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. K2malkin@optimum.netOctober 27, 2014 at 9:25 AM

    I wondered where Shawmee was until I finally scrolled down to the bottom. Been a while since I looked at this:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, she is always there. I am not allowed to go without her :)

      Daniela

      Delete
  8. I plan to hit as many of the Catskill peaks as I can this spring/summer/fall, might as well sart with the highest. Time permitting I'll do Giant Ledge too. Are there other peaks that can easily be combined?

    Jeff Kent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might want to join this Facebook page and ask your question there as they are much more knowledgeable about the area than I am. https://www.facebook.com/NYNJTC.CatskillRegion and be sure to get the Catkill Trail Maps then you can see what is in the vicinity in order to plan you hikes http://nynjtc.org/product/new-catskill-trails-map-set-maps-hiking-catskills

      Daniela

      Delete
    2. I never made it to Giant Ledge in 2015, but just did it yesterday. My two younger kids decided it wasn't for them so my wife went back down with them. My older son and I finished to hike.

      Delete
  9. This post was helpful for us to determine to take the blue trail loop for Slide Mtn rather than just the red trail. After coming back down the red trail we were happy with our choice the ascend on blue. Much fewer hikers and rewarding overlooks. Taking blue does make this more of a 7mi hike round trip.

    ReplyDelete