Sunday, June 25, 2017

Delaware Water Gap NRA, PA - McDade Recreational Trail from White Pines to Schneider Farm


ABOUT THE PARK:
McDade Recreation Trail - National Park Service

DIRECTIONS:
White Pines Trail Head GPS Coordinates 41.24237, -74.86404
White Pines Parking
Schneider Farm Trail Head GPS Coordinates 41.20260, -74.88011
Schneider Farm Parking
I had intended to hike from White Pines to Schneider Farm and back but there were some complications along the way so I had to drive from one to the other.

TRAIL MAP:
Kittatinny Trails Map #121 - New York New Jersey Trail Conference
McDade Trail Map - National Park Service
Powered by Wikiloc

Powered by Wikiloc

HIKE DISTANCE:
I believe it is 4.1 miles from White Pines to Schneider Farm each way.
Our hike:
White Pines 2.8 miles total
Schneider Farm 4.2 miles total

THE HIKE:
The McDade Trail has been perfect for Shawnee so we have been there often this summer and the intention was to complete the entire trail except the parts where dogs are not allowed.  After this hike we had about 7 miles left to do but unfortunately, no more McDade Trail for Shawnee.  All of a sudden she can barely hike 3 miles in her wheelchair where she was still doing 8 miles just weeks ago and it's not worth the drive for a 3 mile hike.  I got her a stroller and we tried it out on this hike but I got more of a workout than I had bargained for.  Pushing a 60-pound dog in a 40-pound stroller up hills on gravel is extremely difficult.  It's going to have to be flat rail trails for the stroller.
As is usually the case, where the rest of the world was sunny, this early in the morning it's all fog along the Delaware River.
Heading south towards Schneider Farm.
Shawnee doing what she can in the wheelchair while I push the stroller.
Foggy Delaware River
It was shortly after I took this picture that something small and black darted across the trail.
... then something HUGE and black ...
.. then two more babies.
That would be momma bear disappearing into the brush.  Or not...
I don't think momma had seen us at first but one of the kids must have ratted us out because she came back ...
... and stood there and watched until she was darned sure we were heading back from whence we came.  I could not back up like you are supposed to with Shawnee in a wheelchair and the stroller so I had to turn us all around but I kept glancing back at her and she seemed to be OK with that as long as we were leaving.  The bear family was heading towards a very narrow strip of land before running into the Delaware River so there was no waiting for them to move on, had no choice but to head back.
Figured I'd give the stroller a try.  She hates going into it and it is quite a scene but once inside, she seems to enjoy it.
I had a couple of ideas for the wheelchair when not in use.  This is one of them.
Passing back by the parking lot and heading north towards Conashaugh instead.
Trying Plan B for the wheelchair - attaching it to the front.
Going in this direction there is a stretch along Route 209.
The trail goes downhill away from Route 209 then ...
... becomes a more rugged footpath where the stroller just can't go. 
So heading back to the parking lot again.
Decided to drive to the Schneider Farm trail head and head north from there to approach from the opposite direction.
That involved breaking the stroller down but it is doable.  Wheels and handlebar pop off and it folds flat just barely fitting in my car.  The wheelchair has to ride in the passenger seat.
At the Schneider Farm trail head and back in the wheelchair for a bit.
There is a gravel road of about 1/2 mile before actually reaching the McDade Trail.
A swallow in flight.
This stretch has no shade and even though it was not that hot out, it was getting hot and she was getting loaded with ticks again even though I doused her legs with neem spray in addition to having put Advantix on her the day before.
At the McDade Trail and making a left to head north.
Ruins of something.
She was done so back into the stroller and Plan C for the wheelchair - stashing it to retrieve on our way back.
I attached a note so nobody would think it was abandoned.
Definitely easier this way without dealing with the wheelchair.
In full sun I can close her sun roof to keep her in the shade.
Makes for convenient water breaks.
And snacks.
Oh.  Hadn't planned on encountering this and it took some creative maneuvering to get over it.
The front wheel has to be pulled over from the front.
Then the back wheels can go over one at a time.  Taking her out was not an option unless absolutely necessary because it is so hard to get her in.  Old girl has a lot of fight left in her.
I had already decided that once we ran into another hill we would be turning around since I did not have it in me to push this back up another hill.
It doesn't look so steep from here but it was steep enough not to want to take the stroller down and back up again so just shy of Dingmans Ferry, we turned back.
An added bonus of being in the stroller is not picking up any more ticks.  It is a tick-free zone.
Here we are back at the wheelchair right where we left it.
Turning right on the gravel road to Schneider Farm.
This would be dad.
This might be mom.
And I think this might be the child.
Back at the parking lot.

12 comments:

  1. Wow Danielle I give you so much credit for putting Shawnee in a stroller so she could still enjoy the hikes with you. You are a really good Mommy! I'm sure Shawnee appreciates it. You got some great pictures of the butterfly with the flowers and birds and the Bear family! Thanks for sharing. Joanne from NJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne. Only thing is she fights me tooth and nail getting into the stroller so I am going to have to muzzle her to put her in so she doesn't tear up the roof. The stroller has enough ventilation!

      Daniela

      Delete
  2. I can understand Shawnee's slowing down. Lately my arthritis has been bad as well as my allergies.This is a terrible year for both so far. I also read that this is the worst year ever for ticks. I was surprised at my vet's office to see them advertising a canine vaccine for ticks. I don't know how effective it is or any side effects but hopefully it will provide the protection our friends need. The only natural thing I heard of that seems to help repel ticks is rose geranium oil (Pelargonium capitatum X radens) They say to only put one drop behind each of a dog's shoulders and at the top of the base of the tail since it is too strong to get near a dog's nose and would overwhelm their sense of smell. Coventry Body Care sells it under the name of "Ticked." I hope Shawnee feels better. She is a very special friend to you and to most of us who follow your and her adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawnee is a lucky dog to have such adventures and such loving care. Even as she declines, you provide her with a wonderful life. I enjoy reading of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God Bless You and Shawnee. You are very inspirational to me. Thank you for sharing your experiences. PS that bear would've really really really freaked me out!! Cathy M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy. And yes, it is particularly unnerving when there are babies and a momma bear. Don't want to upset momma.

      Daniela

      Delete
  5. I just was reading an article on ticks and I copied the following:
    Common Signs of Lyme Disease
    Know the signs of Lyme Disease and be ready to act fast if you suspect your dog may be at risk.

    Recurrent arthritis/lameness that lasts 3–4 days, sometimes accompanied by loss of appetite and depression

    Reluctance to move or a stiff, painful gait

    Swollen joints that are warm to the touch

    Pain in the legs or throughout the body

    Fever, fatigue and swollen lymph nodes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info but she has had Lyme disease for several years and has never been symptomatic.

      Daniela

      Delete
  6. Just discovered your blog researching a hike. Thanks so much for doing these! I was just at this stretch of Mcdade riding my bike. Luckily no bears. I post pictures from my hikes here: http://whitenoise.kinja.com/the-photo-gallery-1818483576 You'd probably recognize a lot of the places. And feel free to stop at that link and share from your adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I ran into my 6th bear of the year today. I must be a bear magnet this year!

      Daniela

      Delete