Friday, April 30, 2010

Douthat State Park, VA - Blue Suck Falls/Tuscarora Overlook/Stony Run


DISTANCE: 10.5 miles

TRAILHEAD: From the park office driving into the park, turn left at the Camp Carson Picnic Area just before Douthat Lake. Drive all the way to the end and park at the Blue Suck Falls trailhead.


DIRECTIONS:
Follow the blue-blazed Blue Suck Falls trail for 3 miles. Along the trail you will first pass small waterfalls and Blue Suck Falls.



The trail goes up and you will begin to see mountains in the distance to the east.


Around this point, I heard a loud purring/chortling noise coming from my left off the trail. It seemed to follow us for a bit then stopped. I asked the park ranger about it later and as I thought, it was a bobcat. But, more specifically, when I got home I googled and found the identical sound which turns out to be a bobcat in heat looking for a mate. Guess she realized that was not us! Never saw her but I can say I heard a bobcat in heat.

At Lookout Rock, climb part of the way up the rock for a view to the west.



At 3 miles, turn left on the yellow-blazed Tuscarora trail.
At 3.5 miles, turn left on the Tuscarora trail spur and hike a short distance to an incredible view. I believe the elevation here is around 2,800 feet. The first mountain is Beards Mountain where Hike 2 takes place. (Yes, ALL the way to the top!) Douthat Lake is in the foreground.


Retrace your steps back to left on the yellow-blazed Tuscarora trail.
At 4.5 miles, turn left on the orange-blazed Stony Run Trail.

This trail goes through the thickest rhododendron grove I have ever seen. It almost blocks out all sunlight.


At 7.5 miles, turn left on the yellow-blazed Locust Gap trail.
At 9 miles, turn right on the blue-blazed Blue Suck Falls trail and reach the parking lot at 10.5 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment