Friday, August 23, 2013

Duke Farms, NJ


ABOUT THE PARK:
Duke Farms - dukefarms.org

DIRECTIONS:
GPS Coordinates 40.545747, -74.624868

View Larger Map
Very large parking lot (this is just one aisle) but it can fill up on weekends so check their Twitter feed for parking lot status before heading out.

TRAIL MAP:
Duke Farms Map - dukefarms.org
The Orientation Center has paper copies of the map.

Duke Farms, NJ at EveryTrail


HIKE BIKE DISTANCE:  6.6 miles in 1 hour 25 minutes

THE HIKE BIKE:
This park can be hiked but this was done as a bike.  Hikers are allowed on all trails, bikes only on paved and gravel trails.  There are no dogs allowed so when my hiking partner Shawnee was at the vet for a dental and x-rays of her leg, I had a couple of hours to kill.  I did not want to hike out, be far away from the car and have the vet call to say I needed to come back fast so when I saw that Duke Farms, only 15 minutes away from my vet, had a bikeshare program, that was perfect and as a bonus I was not cheating on Shawnee by hiking without her, which is strictly prohibited(Shawnee has bad arthritis in her right knee from an old, undetected cruciate ligament injury, but doctor's orders are to keep hiking!  YAY!)
From the parking lot, go to the Orientation Center for a map and to request a bike.  Or you can bring your own bike.
The bike selection behind the Orientation Center.
My ride.  It is true what they say, that you never forget how to ride a bike.  I had not ridden a bike in over 30 years.
Central Way after crossing Dukes Parkway West.
Duke's Brook
Hay Barn Way
Nursery Way
Intersections have street signs but no cars (except for security trucks and they are around - I ran into 3).
The start of a hiking trail on the left.
I would say I was taking it pretty slow for it being the first time in 30+ years so I doubt I was speeding.
The Coach Barn
It was a little trickier riding on the gravel paths.
If you don't care to hike or bike, you can take the tram.
Habitat Lane
Getting ready to cross back over Dukes Parkway West at the gate and crosswalk.
The path back to the Orientation Center with the bike tent to the left.
Back at the vet, just waking up and not at all amused that mom was out having such a good time.


3 comments:

  1. Awww..poor Shawnee- hope she is doing OK

    The pictures are beautiful- lovely color.

    I remember when Elsie was having surgery, I went to Valley Forge to walk my other dog- but was beside myself with worry all the time- but she did fine :))

    Will she have to rest up for a while?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Shawnee is fine. She doesn't need to rest, she is actually supposed to keep active, but I have to watch that I don't make her overdo it. She will keep going as long as I do. It's after the hike that she can't move so I am trying to keep the hikes shorter. There is an injection for arthritis called Adequan and I have heard wonderful things about it from 2 vets and 2 people who use it for their arthritic dogs. Problem is they stopped making it pending upgrade of the manufacturing facilities. The estimated availability date was Q1 2014 but they changed that to end of August (this month) so waiting anxiously for it to become available again. Would like to see how she responds to that so I can plan a Virginia hiking trip for this fall :)

      Daniela

      Delete
  2. That is great.

    I have heard that Wedgewood Pharmacy (compounding pharmacy) may be able to supply it, or there may be a similar product in Canada

    ReplyDelete